Today, I will show you a smart plant care kit which are made with Arduino, We can view the data with the Grove - oled. And rotate the Grove - Encoder to see different sensor info. Press the button, and at the same time rotate the Encoder, you can modify the security value of the sensor.
When the sensor data is out of the range, the oled will prompt alarm information, as well as the tank is empty. Of course, you can press the button to clear the alarm. There’ll be no warning in 20 seconds.
By the time you’re done with the demo you will reap the following wealth:
- Be familiar with Arduino;
- Have a smart plant box that belongs to you;
- Show off your work to your friends.
Now, let’s get started.
I regard the smart planting system as a work of art, so we should do some decoration work first. Then my friend from Seeed help me cutting the beautiful fence. I guess you don't have a laser cutting at home, you can find some in the hacker space near from you easily. If there's no hacker space nearby, you can try the Laser Cutting Service supply by Seeed.
Then we shoud cut the Acrylic sheet for Base board. You can download the Design Drawing by click here.
Then we can fix the Grove Modules to the base board. As shown in the figure below.
Now we should connect Grove Modules to Base Shield on Seeeduino. Just as the figure below shows.
Grove - OLED Display 1.12”
Grove – Sunlight Sensor V1.0
Grove - Encoder
Grove - Water Flow Sensor
Grove - Relay
Grove – Temp & Humidity Sensor
Grove - Moisture Sensor
1. Select all parts required to build water pump circuit from this kit: 2V Water Pump，Grove-Relay，12V Power Connector, Power Cables.
2. Plug one red wire of water pump into positive terminal of power connector and fix it with screw.
3. Plug cable to relay's either J1 port and fix it.
4. Plug black wire of water pump into negative terminal of power connector and fix them.
5. Plug red wire of water pump into relay's another port of J1 connector.
6. Have a look at the completed connection.
1. Slice vinyl tubing into three parts: two long ones and one short. Each of the two long ones should be about triple times of the short one in length. The long ones are used to inlet tube and irrigate tube. The short one will be used to connect the water pump and the water flow sensor.
2. Thumb of rules: you can connect tubes according to arrow symbols on water pump and water flow sensor.
3. Connect both end of short tube to outlet of water pump and inlet of water flow sensor. Note: fix inlet of water flow sensor with nut and make sure tube connected with water pump is tightened.
4. Connect one end of either long tube to inlet of water pump and place the other end into water container.
I assume you have connected your Arduino board and computer well with USB.
1. Download the demo code at https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/Gardening_demo_Ard...
2. Click “Download zip” button on right side of webpage to download all codes.
3. Decompress the downloaded zip files to
“C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arduino\” and remove “-master” in decompressed file name.
4. Launch Arduino IDE.
5. Click Sketch>Add file to add Gardening.ino file from
6. Press CTRL +U to upload codes to your board. Wait a while, there will be prompt like following figure.
Congratulations, you have already completed the most of the work.
When you first power on the project, the Grove - OLED will display the info as the figure below “Default Page” shows.
When rotate the knob(Grove - Encoder) you can see other sensor info such as humidity, UV Index, Moisture and temperature.
The “Water Volume ” page dispaly how much water volume every time you want to water the plant.
Press the button and rotate the knob at the same time you can change the safe value. Just have a try!
When the sensor value are beyond the scope of the preset or there’s no water to use, there’ll be a warning just as the figure below shows.
When the Grove - OLED is displaying the “Default Page” press the button or when the moisture is lower than preset value, the system will start watering your plant. As shown in the figure below.
When the system is still watering press the button can stop it. If the water volume is reached to the preset value the system will stop watering too.
This project has many more additional functions, you can explore it by yourself.
This project is made as an Open Source Project. It's a starting point. Let your creativity go wild with the mechanical, electrical and software design. Make the demo your own. Decorate it. Improve the work. No matter what, write a recipe about it.
To share and progress together.