Software apps and online services
A Rain gauge (also known as an udometer, pluviometer, or an ombrometer) is an instrument used by meteorologists and hydrologists to gather and measure the amount of liquid precipitation over an area in a predefined period of time.
This rain gauge has markings over it, by looking at which the amount of rainfall in an area can be measured in required unit (ex: mm, inch). This process of measurement is analog (values are to be taken manually at required regular intervals). This may be a difficult process to do on.
A Smart Ombrometer is similar to a regular Rain Gauge with additional convenience of a water sensor.
A water sensor is a device used in the detection of the water level for various applications. Water sensors can come in several variations that include ultrasonic sensors, pressure transducers, bubblers, and float sensors.
The sensor has exposed low resistance lines which varies the sensor value depending on the amount of water. If the water level increases, the sensor value also increases.
This sensor has three pins. They are:
S :- Signal input
+ :- power supply
- :- ground
From this project, the amount of rainfall can be determined in required units by using correct formulas.
to get the value in mm, divide the sensor value by 20.
If the amount of rainfall exceeds 10 mm, the rainfall is considered as Heavy Rainfall. When there is Heavy rainfall, the red LED goes on along with the buzzer thereby indicating that there is heavy rainfall.
STEPS to do this project:
- Do the connections of the circuit as shown below
- Create a product on the Bolt Cloud (https://cloud.boltiot.com/home)
- Link the product with your Bolt device
- You can type your python code either in Digital Ocean (https://cloud.digitalocean.com/login) or in the Oracle VM Virtual Box (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) ubuntu server (http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu-16.04.6-server-i386.iso)
- In the ubuntu server, type your python code with suitable file name and extension.py or copy the code given
- Connect the Bolt module to power supply and run the python code